VSTPlugin: Required to 'search'?

Hi (spacechild1) – with VSTPlugin, is it necessary to .search at the beginning of a session, or can it just use the existing plugin cache?

VSTPlugin.pluginList seems to be empty until I do a search.

I’m kinda dumb, I can’t remember the exact plugin keys – I want to look them up, but I don’t want to have to search every time if the cache exists.

hjh

is it necessary to .search at the beginning of a session, or can it just use the existing plugin cache?

VSTPlugin.search does use the existing plugin cache, that’s the reason why the cache exists in the first place. If plugins are already cached, .search should be quick because there is no need for probing (which is the slow part); instead, the Server looks up the info from the cache and sends it to the Client.

If you want to access the cached plugin information without booting the Server, you can use VSTPlugin.readPlugins.

I could parse the cache file in the Client on startup, but it would just add an annoying delay whenever you recompile the Class library. With VSTPlugin.search, you just pay for what you use.

If you don’t want to call VSTPlugin.search every time you boot the Server, just add it to your startup script.

Try VSTPluginController.browse :wink:

VSTPlugin.readPlugins is the droid I was looking for.

Somehow it eluded me in the help.

hjh