VSTPlugin v0.5.0 - final release!

I’m happy to announce the final release of VSTPlugin v0.5.0 - a SuperCollider extension to load VST plugins on Windows, macOS and Linux!

Binaries are can be downloaded from v0.5.0 · Pure Data libraries / vstplugin · GitLab.

If possible, please report any issues at https://git.iem.at/pd/vstplugin/issues.

Big thanks to all my beta testers!

NOTE: I had to make some breaking changes to the VSTPlugin.ar and VSTPlugin.search methods. Most existing code will be unaffected; otherwise, it should be easy to update.

WARNING: because the internal UGen input/output structure had to change, you can’t use existing .scsyndef files! Please recreate them with the new version.

Changelog overview:

• JITLib integration: new VSTPluginNodeProxyController class and NodeProxy roles (\vst, \vstFilter and \vstDef)

• support for multiple input/output busses (VST3 only)

• setOffline method for better offline processing support

• VSTPlugin.search: new timeout and exclude options

• moveEditor and resizeEditor methods to resize/move plugin UI (if supported)

• Linux: allow to run 32-bit and 64-bit Windows plugins (via Wine)

• Linux: fix VST3 editor

• fix some race conditions (= better stability)

• fix possible wrong channel count in VST3 speaker setup (regression introduced in v0.4)

• fix broken transport methods for multi-threading

• fix bugs in VST3 preset reading/writing

See v0.5.0 · Pure Data libraries / vstplugin · GitLab for the full changelog.

Have fun!

Christof

6 Likes

@Spacechild1 are you also going to release these at sc3-plugins repo ?

Not to be too discouraging about sc3-plug-ins, but that really is a repo that, while still useful, isn’t one that I would encourage further contribution to. How to replace it has been on my mind for a bit, and I’m still not sure what the best way to grow external plugins should be.

1 Like

Hi @josh! I didn’t know about this problem. Recently I’ve also asked @madskjeldgaard if he could merge his plugins into sc3-plugins.

As a user, the problem that I am facing with multiple plugins repositories it is because when you are remotely collaborating with instrumentalists that does not have strong computer skills it is really hard for them to install SC and plugins which are spread over many repos. Shipping a standalone would be the solution, but it is only available for MAC…

Another problem I often seen is begginers lost searching for features which have already been implemented as plugins, but are somehow hard to find because they are spread through multiple github repositories.

Yes - I agree. And I think the crux of the matter is finding a repo with plugins if high quality. My own have problems in my mind at this point … some are rad, some are “uh … I’m a better programmer now”.
I have some thoughts, but I won’t focus on them until 3.12 is out the door.

/*
Josh Parmenter
www.realizedsound.net/josh
*/

1 Like

Not to be too discouraging about sc3-plug-ins, but that really is a repo that, while still useful, isn’t one that I would encourage further contribution to.

I fully agree with Josh here.

How to replace it has been on my mind for a bit, and I’m still not sure what the best way to grow external plugins should be.

IMO, the most natural solution would be to expand the Quark system to also support pre-built binaries, similar to Pd’s Deken package manager. But let’s save this discussion for another thread :wink:

2 Likes