Goodbye SuperCollider

Today I announce that after four years of continuous work, I am ending my involvement with SuperCollider.

Developing and maintaining this project has been a truly unique experience for me, one that I deeply cherish. However, my personal and professional life have evolved greatly in that time, and I no longer wish to continue.

I have already removed myself from most admin and moderator roles. If I’ve missed any feel free to remove me, no need to ask. The next release, 3.12.0, will be managed by Josh Parmenter and Marcin Pączkowski. I’ve pushed my in-progress branches to my personal fork (github.com/brianlheim/supercollider), and have archived the repository in case any work there is useful to someone else in the future.

If anyone needs my assistance handing over permissions or access levels, please write me. Otherwise, I would ask that you please not contact me about SuperCollider, for any other reason.

I wish the best for SuperCollider as a project and a community, and hope that it will thrive for many years to come.

Farewell,

Brian (they/them)

14 Likes

So sorry to see another lion step back! This user thanks you and wishes you well !

1 Like

I am genuinely honoured to have worked with you.

Thank you for your dedication and contributions to the project.
Thank you for your contributions to the community.
Thank you for your patience.
Thank you for teaching me how to be a better developer.
Thank you for making my first experiences with open source so wonderful.
Thank you for being an outstanding and inspiring person.

I owe you a great deal and am forever grateful.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

All the best,
James

1 Like

Thank you Brian for their patience, their dedication, the quality of their code, insights, discussions, reviews.
I wish them all the best for the future.
The SC community will miss them !
And thanks Josh and Marcin for keeping up with the development !

Thank you so much Brian!

From another SC user, a big thanks for time and energy spent on developing SC. Good luck for the future too.

This is a sad day for the SuperCollider community. We owe you a great deal.

I second all of what @jrsurge has said. It was a pleasure working with you. You will be sorely missed.

All the best,
Patrick

I don’t know nothing about the reasons, but I can imagine maintaining such opensource software can be demanding, also socially and emotionally. If there is anything we could change as opensource community to make a more pleasant for developers, might be good to know. But maybe it has nothing to do with this and it’s just time to say goodbye.

Big thanks for your work!

Thanks Brian for all your effort and dedication!

Sad news…

Really sad to hear this but completely understandable. Thank you for your incredible contribution to the project - you’ve left a massive positive impact on the project and the community that will be felt for years to come. It’s been a pleasure working with you and I wish you the best !

I am reminded of our hang at Miller’s Pub a couple of years ago where we were discussing how beautiful code can be. Thank you for all your beautiful code that is now part of the SuperCollider project. You have been amazing at pushing development forward.

Sam

Thanks Brian! You’ll be missed.

I’d also like to wish Brian all good things on what looks to be a significant life transition. I’ve said before and will say again now – you addressed some long-standing flaws in SC development culture in a way that I have neither the skills, patience nor temperament for. (Perhaps especially patience.) I regret that I wasn’t able to adjust (and I realize, because of that, I lost a friend).

Be well and happy on the next stage of your life :butterfly:

hjh

Brian, your work in the SC community over the years has been truly remarkable. I think you have been an integral part of truly raising the bar: in terms of code, organization, and rigor for the project. This - lets be clear - translates very directly into a much brighter future for SuperCollider as a platform and tool, and into real, on-the-ground better experiences by people who are finishing their album, their next performance, or having a fun weekend getting their feet wet with a new tool. You’ve quietly and tirelessly dug into painstaking work and uncherished topics because they’re the right thing to do. In years and years of my own engineering experience, I can say that this is one of the most admirable and valuable qualities, and it will be greatly missed.

I know how much intellectual and emotional energy you’ve invested into this project - not to mention just plain hours - and I’m also truly excited to see the next lucky target of this energy :slight_smile:

You’ll be missed!!!

4 Likes

Brian, big thanks for your amazing engagement and your decent moderation, a truly valuable contribution to the community! Sad to hear of your decision but all the best for your future plans!

Thank you for the immeasurable difference you have made to this project, Brian.

While it is clearly noticeable how much healthier and more vibrant the project became due to your dedication, I’m certain that before long the many more subtle contributions you also made will begin to echo as well.

Here’s to a future of success and happiness in all your endeavours.