Has anyone tried SC on the new M1 mac? Will there be a native ARM version of SC in the future?

Currently SC will only be able to run through rosetta 2. Has anyone tried this yet? Does it work? How smooth is the experience?

And furthermore, will there be a version of SC that can run natively on the M1 in the future? Any news on that? And if so when could we expect this?

saw this comment on linesā€¦

One of the good things about open source software is that you donā€™t have to wait for a software company to produce an M1 binary. The minute the M1 C++ compiler is available for download, any SC user can get the compiler and the source code and try to build it.

But, related to what I was just saying, we have already had some users try to build SC for themselves in the new architecture: ā€œWalked away and came back with a big ā€˜BUILD SUCCEEDEDā€™ message on the Terminal window and I was so relieved. SuperCollider launches!ā€ (General support ticket for macOS 11 Big Sur Ā· Issue #5168 Ā· supercollider/supercollider Ā· GitHub)

hjh

Ah, thatā€™s good news just from the day before !
Letā€™s hope the remaining issues to be manageable !

Oh, but I just remembered, SC starts up but there seems to be some problem with timestamps for bundles (used extensively for events and JITLib). So, not out of the woods but it should all be fixable.

hjh

Hi all,
Any news on this? My M1 laptop has arrived, but havenā€™t been able to install SC unfortunately.
Iā€™d be happy to use my laptop for any testing if it helps!
Looking forward to using SC again :slight_smile:

have you seen/tried this? other users have reported it to work on Apple Silicon: [Announce] New SuperCollider 3.11.2 patched release available for macOS Big Sur

Thanks, downloading right now!

1 Like

I can confirm that it managed to install and is working on the M1 laptop :smiley:
Iā€™m assuming through rosetta2?

Amazing that it works! Thanks!!

1 Like

How does performance seem?

In my rudimentary tests, performance of our (intel) BigSur build is quite good on M1, similar with the latest intel chips for scsynth. SC startup seems a little slower though. Iā€™ve also tried compiling SC natively and that process had some caveats. It looks like the native build runs maybe 10-15% faster than running through Rosetta2, but my testing was very non-scientific, so we need to see how the performance looks like in the real world.

1 Like

To be honest I donā€™t really run any very heavy code, but the things that I use (Pbind patterns for sending MIDI for example) work perfectly!