Is there a linux distribution that is more suitable to run supercollider?

The AVLinux distribution based on MXLinux is easy to install but the version of supercollider is not the latest. And so far I have not been able to compile correctly from source. I have to say that it’s not my cup of tea, and I’m not very motivated to get my hands dirty.

I saw that Arch Linux has the latest version of Supercollider, but the installation of Arch Linux is a bit complex. Are there any versions of Arch Linux that you would recommend to use Supercollider that would be easier to install, and would already have a real time kernel and everything needed to properly use jackd in a simplified way?

It’s a pity that AVLinux doesn’t have the latest version of Supercollider, because otherwise everything works perfectly well, real-time kernel, integration of other software like Renoise, and simplified maintenance based on the MX Linux philosophy.

I’m interested in your suggestions.

Dilectio

I see that AVLinux is based on debian, so compilation should be easier than on some other distributions. I’m using Ubuntu Studio and I’m generally happy with it (though it doesn’t have a more up to date SC package, so it isn’t any better for you I think). I do have to build from source, but at this point that’s largely a matter of installing the packages listed in the readme, cmake-configuring, and go. Building gets nasty if packages aren’t available, but this shouldn’t be a large problem in a debian distro.

I understand that you don’t want to, but you’re already in an ecosystem where building SC is likely to be easier than in other environments. It’s painful once; after that, you have more independence. Do feel free to ask specific questions on the forum (i.e. “I haven’t been able to build successfully” is not something anyone can help with, but “I ran the cmake command and it barfed with ‘…’” is likely to be an answerable question).

hjh

1 Like

I’ll second what jamshark said!
Building from source is a good idea on Linux. Once you have a (very basic) basic grasp of cmake and the terminal it’s quite easy.

However, stay away from arch - way too much effort. I’d recommend manjaro, it’s a nice compromise of having access to the latest packages and the aur and an incredibly easy modern install. I actually think manjaro is easier than most Debian based distros.

One thing more to add, you will want to compile SC with system boost to use flucoma. It’s all listed on the github.

Thank you Jamshark70 and Jordan for your answers.

As I have been using MX Linux for several years now on my laptop, my son’s laptop and my daughter’s laptop, it is true that I would prefer to stay with AVLinux, because I felt at home right away when I installed it since it is based on MX Linux.

I have a friend in IT who is a fan of Manjaro, but I am so used to using MX Linux that I am hesitant to take the plunge. I’m more often on OSX than linux now so I’m a little short on time and desire.

However, I will still try to install supercollider from source on AVLinux, and I will follow your advice Jamshark70 in the way of asking my questions to finally succeed in going through with it.

It’s true that with AVLinux, for 350 euros, you can have a very good used laptop powerful enough to do a lot of things with music. A macbook air already requires more money, it’s more like 1000 euros. That’s the main reason why I stay with my current laptop. It’s a thinkpad L540, and it works great with AVLinux. On the other hand, compared to a macbook air, it is much heavier and has much less battery life. But for the few times I use it, it’s more than enough for now.

So I have to compile Supercollider from now on.

Dilectio

perhaps this documented process of compiling and installing sc from source on an ubuntu might comes handy? since MX Linux is based on debian it might be easier to end up with a deb file at the end of compilation process (it uses checkinstall script to create a deb file).

feel free to come back with any questions.

Manjaro Linux here, on a beloved x220 … everything working perfectly fine and latest !
Built mostly following the good advices here :