I recently had an annoying experience trying to get a standalone working. Both @adcxyz’s approach and this one: https://github.com/dathinaios/sc_osx_standalone failed for what appear to be thorny issues with code signing on recent Mac OSX versions. Despite manually unquarantining it all still failed to work. I fear this issue is only going to get worse, and it would anyway be nice to have a cross-platform approach to standalones.
What if we did this:
- A variant build of the SC distribution, so just another build target
- tweaked to only read internal and local (i.e. in the same folder and subtree as the app) for extensions and plugins, so no conflicts with other SC installs
- looks for a particular file (startup.scd or whatever) also in that location and runs it on startup
- IDE included but could be configured to hide help and documents and only show post window by default. Could perhaps simplify menu structure.
- For Mac a signed template distribution of this could be made available so no code-signing problems
- Users just download the template, drop extensions in the appropriate places, add a startup file, and go
I don’t think this would be much work. Thoughts?