Quarks won't install?

I was trying to install dewdrop_lib, but… odd. Using either the gui or Quarks.install(“https://github.com/jamshark70/dewdrop_lib”) it says the quark is installed but it isn’t. The gui shows an error on the local path, and, checking, nothing has appeared in the downloaded-quarks directory.

I don’t think the problem is with this particular quark: any quark I try seems to behave in the same way. Any ideas? SC 3.10.0, macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra.

Do you have git installed and functioning?

hjh

Yes, I think so. In terminal, git --version shows 2.4.6

Functioning, though, that’s another question. Umm… not sure how I’ll test that…

Ok, thanks, that was the problem, my recent update to High Sierra seems to have broken git. Reinstalled Homebrew and used that to update git, all good now.

Glad to hear it.

Error reporting in Quarks is a weak point currently – often, it reports success even when the operation failed. So “says it’s installed” isn’t trustworthy. There’s an issue open for that somewhere.

Same here. But GIT is installed. SC 3.12.1, on Windows.
However, typing “git” in a cmd window doesn’t work (but GIT is working fine). It is just not installed in a common place.
So how is SC searching for GIT ?

I can only provide this as a decent starting point:

Git.openHelpFile.openCodeFile

It’s using the Unix which command (or Windows where), which means that the git executable’s folder should be in the system $PATH environment variable. I forget the exact sequence in Windows, but there’s some right-click > Properties something to get to the system variables. You could add git’s location to the PATH there.

FWIW I never had much luck with git checkout of quarks in Windows, though.

hjh

1 Like

I made a fresh install of latest Git distribution. “Where git” is now responding. And the Quarks management within Windows is working perfectly.
This requirement of having Git installed isn’t documented, or I read the documentation too fast.

In case it helps, I add a similar same issue on my 2nd system, with GIT installed, and available from the PATH.

ERROR: Failed to read quarks directory listing: https://github.com/supercollider-quarks/quarks.git ERROR: Primitive '_FileReadLine' failed.

However GIT was referenced twice in the PATH env variable (once as “C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\cmd” and once as “C:\Program Files\Git\cmd”). I removed the “(x86)” reference from the PATH. And the problem is solved.

A post was split to a new topic: Installed quark, plugin not found