SCAU and using SuperCollider with DAWs

Hi all -

I’d like to include SuperCollider within the workflow in a DAW.
I know that there’s the SuperColliderAU extension, which I’ve managed to use for real-time processing - but I don’t think it’s possible to render audio in the workflow using it. (unless you want to record a bunch of new tracks…)

I’m curious if other people have dealt with this challenge or if there’s any discussion about how to deal with it. I noticed some mention of Faust recently as a possible way of circumventing some of this, but I wasn’t entirely certain that it would result in the desired outcome. I’m not even sure what the proper terminology is to distinguish between a VST/AU for real-time use and a VST/AU that could be used to process audio in a rendering setting. Any help would be great! Thank you.

not the most elegant answer and probably not what you’re after but I use SC together with REAPER pretty seamlessly. From SC I send osc messages to drive REAPER’s transport. SC can invoke Reaper scripts to make tracks and record output to them etc…

1 Like

Thanks! I have noticed that Reaper has really convenient integration for OSC and MIDI messaging. I guess what I’m curious about, though, is what it would actually entail to apply a “plugin” designed in SC over an already recorded track. Are you saying you’ve done this?

I think it’s a bit unclear actually how you’re trying to use SC with a DAW… Are you specifically interested in running it natively within the DAW?

If not, if you haven’t seen them, check out @alikthename’s recent videos on exactly this-

and @t36s’s https://danielmkarlsson.com/sc4reaper/ (though Soundflower doesn’t work anymore, I’d recommend BlackHole: Route Audio Between Apps for audio routing on a mac.

The main workflow theme, with both alik’s and t36s’s tutorials, involves routing audio and data (be it MIDI or OSC) back and forth from DAW and SC. You’ll need to record audio from SC into the tracks of your DAW, or record in SC directly and stick it into your DAW before rendering though.

2 Likes

The main workflow theme, with both alik’s and t36s’s tutorials, involves routing audio and data (be it MIDI or OSC) back and forth from DAW and SC. You’ll need to record audio from SC into the tracks of your DAW, or record in SC directly and stick it into your DAW before rendering though.

Yes, thank you - this is what I’ve done - I am wondering, though, if there are additional steps/options or even any discussion about what it would entail to do the rendering natively.

Hi, daw-jackd-sc approach is more flexible than usual plugin approach. If by rendering you mean faster than real time calculation, it’s possible with jackd. Several next videoes on my channel will be just about that: processing daw tracks with sc, manual sample level alignment, faster than real time rendering etc.

2 Likes

Hi, it was possible in previous versions of SCAU using the “standalone” mode, but unfortunately this is not worikng in the current version.

1 Like

If you are going to go down the route of OSC or MIDI you can use our CuePlayer that can trigger functions (cues) and timelines from the DAW easily.

Just in case it is useful :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like