Why use editors like (Neo)Vim/Emacs?

I used to use sclang-mode, and wanderlust for e-mail, and org-mode for calendar/todo.

Now, in Emacs, I use only org-mode (which is also a nice user-friendly front-end for LaTeX).

I would really like a colorizer for my live-coding dialect in SC, and SC-IDE is never going to support that… but the time it would take to get (back?) up to speed on Emacs-lisp is time I should be spending on Chinese vocabulary. So that ain’t gonna happen either.

hjh

1 Like

“Emacs!”

But seriously, I think a minor mode with font-lock would be the easiest way to do something like this, if you can deal with regexp. In a few lines I think it’s possible to do it.

I’d be curious to compare how it would be possible to do in vscode, maybe writing an extension in typescript? Seems a bit more involved.

1 Like

Some reasons we need LSP also running on vim and emacs, not just vscode:

2 Likes

Maybe you could try to integrate the existing LSP server Scott has written into one or more of those editors’ client systems?

2 Likes

He’s been doing a fantastic job, he has a vision, that’s what we need. Emacs seems to have fewer users than vim right now, but I’m sure that the LSP project will be a common ground to connect the community. In the near future I will try to study and see what the job requires. There are many elisp coders here as well, much more experienced than me.

I tried emacs, but do not use it. However, integrating i3 with emacs seems very impressive:

1 Like

this is close for SCNvim - the issue was the use of stdin/stout: per @scztt LanguageServer can connect and provide basic functionality to NeoVim client · Issue #9 · scztt/LanguageServer.quark · GitHub
here was a stab at a solution from @davidgranstrom GitHub - davidgranstrom/sclang-lsp-stdio: A stdio wrapper for LanguageServer.quark

2 Likes

Personally, in terms of overall look and organization of the system I am satisfied with arch linux ricing with its several window managers options.

However, I am searching for a easy to setup code environment for situations were I could have more flexible display of the information (for daily usage I prefer the IDE). For example, something like Gibber

as well as this

From the posts we got here, this does not seems to be the regular usage of sc-nvim/emacs, right? If someone could share some code, examples, videos on this it would be great…

The idea of treating the visual text as the sound GUI/visualizers/responder seems really interesting! (maybe would fill a gap between SC and Pd?) Although I can image how hard it would be to integrate it to the general framework of SC…

I think most people were talking about coding, not performance. But you can use many things for visual performances. I see many people just make the background color transparent and put some visuals behind.

I don’t mean typical live coding, because, in general, live coding environments treat visual as a separated aspect from the sound (mainly a reactive visual and not visual display of sound information/features). I mean the usage of the code text itself as a visualizer, for example: A pattern visual tracker on the post window which is not line by line, but char by char; a waveform scope made out of “-” char which can be showed overplayed with the code; text buffers used as “sliders”, etc

One big question for me as well is: people who use nvim/emacs tend to treat audio coding more like “non real time way of composing” (write a lot and then later run it, almost not interacting and editing on the fly) and do not use it as a real time enhancer for performing audio/sound with code?

All this is perfectly possible, as long as you code it. Everything in emacs is a command/, even a single character, literally everything can be changed by the user. It also communicates via osc, and all that. If you want that, you could try.

on the contrary! I interact constantly even when building my fixed compositions.

nvim is much more fast and flexible for live use that the IDE as well.

in my system for example I have a key command that sends a particular definition under the cursor to sclang - in addition to being able to send lines and blocks. I also have commands that send various strings to sclang without having to type them first into a buffer. Or post the controls of a synthdef etc etc.

The ordinary find/replace and navigation features of vim I would argue are also faster than similar operations in the IDE. One cute example is the standard key command to increment or decrement numbers under cursor… so you can send a.set(\mix, 0.09) and then C-a it becomes a.set(\mix,0.10) - rinse and repeat…

And in terms of functionality provided by plugins, snippets and marks (basically like bookmarks) are hugely helpful…

2 Likes

A simple way to insert buttons in your file:

(defun supercollider-button-action (button)
  "Evaluate SuperCollider expression when BUTTON is clicked."
  (interactive)
  ;; Define the SuperCollider action here. For example:
  (sclang-eval-string "s.boot"))

(add-hook 'sclang-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (insert-button "󰁙 Boot Server"
                           'action 'supercollider-button-action
                           'follow-link t
                           'help-echo "Boot the SuperCollider server"
                           'help-args "test")))

I will check later how to insert a slider. It’s possible, since we saw examples already.

3 Likes

proof-of-concept:

(defvar my-slider-length 20
  "Length of the slider.")

(defun my-slider-create-buffer ()
  "Create a buffer for the slider."
  (switch-to-buffer "*my-slider*")
  (read-only-mode -1)
  (erase-buffer)
  (my-slider-draw 0))

(defun my-slider-draw (value)
  "Draw the slider with the given VALUE."
  (let ((slider-char ?=)
        (slider-space ?-))
    (insert (format "Slider [%s%s]\n"
                    (make-string value slider-char)
                    (make-string (- my-slider-length value) slider-space)))))

(defun my-slider-click (event)
  "Handle mouse click events for the slider."
  (interactive "e")
  (let* ((click-pos (posn-x-y (event-end event)))
         (x-pos (car click-pos))
         (char-width (default-font-width))
         (slider-value (max 0 (min my-slider-length (/ x-pos char-width)))))
    (erase-buffer)
    (my-slider-draw slider-value)))

(defun my-slider-enable-click ()
  "Enable clicking in the slider buffer."
  (use-local-map (make-sparse-keymap))
  (local-set-key [down-mouse-1] 'my-slider-click))

(defun my-slider-init ()
  "Initialize the slider."
  (my-slider-create-buffer)
  (my-slider-enable-click))

3 Likes

I think the best thing about neovim (which hasn’t been mentioned) isn’t actually the editor, not the customisation, but the key bindings for how you move around text (vi).

• ‘ihjk’ to move around

• being how to jump to the next, letter, word, function, bracket, class, declaration…

• Jumping between files or tabs, perhaps to definitions.

• Fast searching of and through files.